History of the Blue Star Mothers of America, Inc.

The original Blue Star Mothers

On January 22, 1942, the Flint News Advertiser printed a coupon asking Mothers of serviceman to return the coupon after filling it out. The following February 1st, 300 mothers met in the Durant Hotel in Flint Michigan. Captain George H. Maines, who had convinced the group of his idea, acted as the chair of this first meeting. After receiving 1000 ad responses they decided to form a permanent organization.

On February 6th, the organization was recorded in Congressional record. Chapters continued to form in Michigan, Ohio, Wisconsin, New York, Pennsylvania, Oregon, California, Iowa and Washington. In June of 1960, the organization was chartered by congress.

Mothers volunteered throughout the tough times of World War II. They worked in hospitals, train stations, packed care packages for soldiers and were a working part of homeland security during times of war. The organization waned in size over the years, but has since held together by mothers showing pride in both their children and country. In recent times, we have begun to grow in strength. Being attacked on our own soil has rekindled the tradition of mothers hanging flags in their windows at home, proclaiming pride in the fact that we have children protecting our freedom during this time of war.

Our organization not only provides support for active duty service personnel, it promotes patriotism, assists Veterans organizations, and assists in homeland volunteer efforts to help our country remain strong.


Membership Roll from Gerritson Beach from WWII in the order of members joining

Photo of a Membership Roll from Gerritson Beach from WWII in the order of members joining. Gerritsen Beach is on southern coast of Brooklyn, New York. Photo Courtesy Mike Karnbach